- One way to get in touch with our "core" is by leaning against the wall with palms on the wall and starting to sing while slowly pushing away from the wall -- wow! Why it sounds "stronger" I don't know -- but it does!
- One way to remember to keep your lips and jaw relaxed while singing is to give your upper lip a little "flick" every now and again. It helps the sound when your resonators are not confined by tension
- We learned the Power of Positive Self Talk - sometimes that lil voice says, "Well, stupid, you will never get that note right!" When we should be rejecting THAT lil voice and nurturing the one that will encourage us by saying instead, "Okay, that note did not sound right that time, but next time it will be perfect!"
- We learned about modulating our breath so that we have plenty for the phrase endings. One excercise to help with that is to "Sing numbers silently" and keep a steady flow of breath from the beginning to the end, using all your breath to the end of the phrase.
- We learned that WE (Region 10) is one of the friendliest in the nation! Well, we already knew that, but it was good to get that pat on the back. We are REAL women, singing REAL harmony, and having REAL fun, while being REAL supportive of one another!
The karaoke and lip sinc contest was such a hoot! I still smile thinking of those New Orleans bocking chickens lip-sincing that hilarious rendition. And the TALENT in this group of ladies is simply a-m-a-z-i-n-g ! We had solos from Broadway musicals, Country Super Stars, and Gospel singing that made your hair on your arms stand up. The 10-year old from the Baton Rouge chorus was just so refreshing to hear -- even though I had no idea what she was singing about -- this is future, y'all! She has a fantastic voice and a confident stage presence ... look out International 2022! I can just see it now .....
If you ever wondered what we do when we go off to "learn to sing better" the slide show will provide a teeny-tiny look at some of the activities, everything from warming up, to lectures, to posing for photos -- and I didn't get photos of lunch, because I was too busy visiting and learning and eating!